2001 Mar 16 – Apr 30: Getting to know Tasmania

March 16, 2001, Friday — Arrival in Tasmania

March 17, 2001, Saturday — Anchored in Port Arthur, Tasmania

March 18, 2001, Sunday — Port Arthur to Hobart

March 20, 2001, Tuesday — Entered inner harbour of Constitution Dock, Hobart. Frank Holden, S/V “Westerly Serenade”, was tied up at Constitution Dock, ready to leave today for Melbourne. We moved right into the place alongside the Waterside Pavillion which his boat had occupied. Frank is the captain of the merchant vessel “Tasmanian Achiever”, which sails between Melbourne and Tasmania every other day. His phone is 0412-526-163. Email is fholden@rabbit.com.au. Frank says that February is the best month to sail to the West Coast of Tassie. He said that August is the worst weather in Bass Strait. He said that if we take Adagio to Melbourne, to go to Hastings, where there are lots of multihulls. Can travel by rail to Melbourne from Hastings.

We telephoned Lesley and Robert Swan at their home on North Bruny Island. Robert offered us their mooring, saying that it is 2 tons, huge steel girder from a building, with a huge chain on it. Never have winds or waves. A good place to anchor if wind comes from the NE. And of course we can stay at their B&B, Swanhaven On Bruny. They recommended their G.P. Dr. Jennifer Skeat, 6223-3133.

March 21, 2001, Wednesday

Steve to hospital for MRI Scan and admission.

Tony Sharp on “Slippery When Wet” aka “Celeste”, gave me his mobile phone number in case I needed assistance during the night.

March 22, 2001, Thursday — Steve in surgery for Lumbar microdiscectomy, right L4 Nd L5. Jeff Boyes says that “Constance” is near Coles Bay.

March 27, 2001, Tuesday — Steve home from hospital

March 30, 2001, Friday

We met Sam Greg, fishing vessel “Storm Boy”

Risdon Cove to see live performance of TE VAKA, New Zealand Polynesian music and dance group.

March 31, 2001, Saturday

Salamanca Market: TE VAKA live performance, including hands-on lessons in Polynesian Dance ≠ which was a big hit with the crowd.

Warren Boyles, Editor 40 degrees South magazine and friend Penny came by the boat but did not come aboard. They offered to be of help to us finding services. Andrew and Marie from New Zealand, who are building a 40′ catamaran, soured Adagio.

April 1, 2001, Sunday

Ross Arts and Music Festival with Tony and Joanne from S/V “Slippery When Wet”. Arlene and Peter Cook visited us with their baby son Andrew.

April 6 – 9, 2001

Launceston for 10 Days on the Island Arts and Music Festival, attended two performances. Stayed at the Prince Alfred Inn. Walked to “The Gorge” whilst Peter and Arlene Cook looked after Adagio.

April 28,m 2001, Saturday

9:30 AM we joined a walking tour of Battery Point, meeting the group and leader at Franklin Square. The tour leader described the history and development of the area, taking us also to see the old style Tennis Court and players, to the ammunition magazines under the Battery, and for Devonshire scones and tea at the Anglican Church.

April 29, 2001, Sunday

In the morning Steve and Tom (from Half Moon) succeeded in removing the bracket for the dinghy lift from the radar arch.

Steve and I drove to Mt. Field National park and walked to Russell Falls and the Tall Trees. We began the drive up to Fenton Lake to see the notofagus fall leaves, but found the road to be to narrow and dangerous so we turned back about half way.

Before dinner we invited Henk (pronounced Hank) Haazen, with wife Bunny and daughter Ruby (age 13) to come to Adagio for a glass of wine and hors d’oeurves. Their sailing vessel TIAMA hails from Auckland, and the Greenpeace flag flies from the shrouds. Bunny worked for Greenpeace in New Guinea for 12 years. In their boat TIAMA they recently completed a charter for Greenpeace staff. They told us about their travels in Chile, and offered to let us copy their voluminous notes on cruising Chile. They invited us to visit aboard TIAMA tomorrow morning to see the boat and to borrow their Chile cruising notes for copying. They recommended that we purchase a copy of “Atlas Hidrografico de Chile”, published by Instituto Hidrografico de la Armada Chile. They said that in Chile a sailing vessel must always be secured by lines tied ashore in addition to the anchor. The only time they did not do this, their anchor dragged. Tie three or four lines to a tree or a rock ashore. They recommend that we install a spool on each corner of Adagio. Each spool containing 120 metres of 20 mm diameter polypro line.

April 30, 2001, Monday

We visited aboard TIAMA, a steel sailing vessel that Henk built himself. It is designed for cruising the “high latitudes” and has been to Antarctica several times. The family owns property on Wiaheke Island in the Haurraki Gulf near Auckland. Bunny has a job with Greenpeace in Wellington, and so the family plans to depart tomorrow for New Zealand. I gave Bunny a ride in our car to and from the large grocery store north of North Hobart, for her provisioning for the passage, which they expect to last for 10 days.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s