OCC BC Rally: 10 September – Cortes Bay To Teakerne Arm then to Squirrel Cove

The calm and sunny morning was followed by a light sailing breeze. Misty mountains and low white clouds graced the horizon. Junk-rigged TYSTIE, owned by David and Fran Tyler, posed gracefully for our camera shoots of the dramatic scenery. We arrived at Teakearne Arm for a lunch stop, had a good look at the lovely waterfall, and set our anchor with a line ashore. Many of the other cruisers took their dinghies to the small dock for a hike to the lake for a freshwater swim. We stayed aboard ADAGIO and watched that the other boats did not drag their anchors or pull down the tree they had tied to.

After the swimmers had returned safely to their boats, we raised our anchor, released our shore line, and headed towards Squirrel Cove. We anchored ADAGIO away from the OCC rafting boats so that we could catch the rising tidal current into the lagoon aboard our kayak. The rocky entrance passage is a few hundred yards long. The water was moving swiftly into the lagoon, and forming small but fun overfalls where the incoming current met the still lagoon water. Small whirlpools surrounded us, and turned us in circles.

We headed towards the rocky deserted islands at the north end of the lagoon. They were formed of glacier-smoothed granite, with sandy beaches and bonsai evergreen trees hanging on for dear life. I had visited these islands last year with our daughter and two grandchildren, and had wanted bring Steve to see the lagoon and its islands.

After about 45 minutes we returned to the lagoon entrance, only to find that the incoming current was as strong as when we had entered. It would be longer than we had expected before the tide would turn. We paddled to visit the islands in the south end of the lagoon. These were forested and rugged. I remember walking all over them last year. This year we circumnavigated the islands, examining the intricate geological formations and vegetation. The water was clear to the bottom in the shallow and medium depth waters.

We returned again to the lagoon entrance and waited another hour before the incoming tidal current was reduced in speed enough for us to power-paddle out of the lagoon. It was a great cardio-workout.

Because of the lateness of the tide, we missed the OCC dinner at The Cove Restaurant, but were happy to shower and rest our weary kayakers’ arms. The moon rose from behind the rafted boats, making for a lovely evening scene.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s